IMG_0337.jpg

Textile Waste Cushion

The US generates at least 12 million tons of textile waste each year. Which is about 80 lbs of textile waste per person per year.

Only 15% of the textiles are donated or recycled. The rest of the 85% goes into landfills.

A short project that tackles the problem of textile waste in the world.

 

Duration: 1 day

TEXTILEWASTE1-01.png
ICON-07.png
TEXTILEWASTE2-02.png

The sheer volume and weight of this waste is difficult to manage. I wanted to find a way to utilize large masses of waste fabrics in a easy and fast solution.

Materials Used

tarp3-09.png
tarp3-10.png

I used an old billboard canvas as the material to create a stool cushion.

The padding and cushioning inside is filled with cut up recycled fabrics.

This is a fast way to utilize lots of waste textiles.

The tarp material is perfect to act as the outer casing because it is rigid and holds its shape. I used an old zipper to close the opening.

* I picked up this piece of old billboard years ago laying in the middle of the street at night. I always knew that I could use it for something. 

Construction

I cut out a piece of the tarp that had an interesting and abstract pattern.

The cushion is 16'' x 16'' x 8''

1 seat cushion repurposes approximately 14 square ft of textile waste.

diagram-03.png

Details

IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg
cushion1-05.png